- People problems at work?If people problems are hurting your business then call me for a free confidential discussion on how I can help you.I am a mediator, mentor, coach trainer and facilitator specialising in conflict resolution between people and teams in organisations.I create successful organisations by showing people how to work through differences and resolve their conflict and communication breakdowns.Stages of resolution: How I work to resolve conflict, communication difficulties, or relationship breakdowns.I work in a non-legal, non-formal framework providing resolution of issues, the development of trust, and the repair of working relationships. I resolve interpersonal difficulties where people are committed to developing something new in their relationship, and are open to achieving a new resolution.I work at the stage before conflict is entrenched, positions are cemented, or when the situation involves formal disciplinary procedures or complaints.Resolution works best when there is agreement in principle from the parties that they are willing to be part of a resolution process that involves goodwill and has everyone’s interests at heart including the organisation.Stage 1: Planning and Preparation – meet with those who have an overviewThis is often the person who is responsible for the outcome or is the person responsible for paying my fee (the client).We will discuss the whole history of the situation, what has been done, and then discuss possible next steps, including what outcomes are wanted from the resolution process, going forward, with a time frame. We identify the key players for me to interview and move to stage two. Stage 2: Planning and Preparation – meet with each of the parties individually and any other key playersI will ask the parties:
- How open are you to working on new solution?
- How much trust, goodwill do you have towards the other person/people
- How willing are you to resolve things and move forward?
- How much do you care about the working relationship? Do you have a vested interest in it?
- How much do feel you are right and the other person/people are wrong?
- How prepared are you to look at your own functioning and acknowledge your contribution to the problem.
Through discussing the situation with those involved, one-to-one, I will get an overview of the situation and find out the history, the issues, and get a perspective from different points of view. I will be fully briefed on what the parties want from this process going forward. We will get a good idea of what has contributed to the relationship difficulties from their different points of view. This is also a chance to identify things that are in each person’s control to improve the working relationships right now and for the future. We will discuss the various options for resolution including the possibility of a facilitated meeting or mediation. This stage produces positive changes simply by bringing the issues out into the open and by taking immediate actions to improve the relationship. This session will be on- on-one with me as part of an informal resolution process. Therefore, no `support’ people will be involved, unless there are exceptional circumstances, and the presence of a support person is agreed with the other party(ies) and myself in advance.
Stage 3: Discussion of Recommendations with you (the client)
- I will let you, the client, know the options for resolution, and give you my recommendations, including the cost of these. We will discuss these and agree on the best way forward. The solutions may include a facilitated conversations or mediation, or other organisational development strategies, professional development or coaching programmes. I reserve the right not to go ahead with mediation, if in my assessment the resolution of the conflict belongs outside the parties’ control, the situation is best resolved by other means, if a mediated meeting of the parties is not likely to result in an improved working relationship, or if mediation it is not in the best interests of the parties or organisation. If I see better ways forward, I will recommend different solutions.
- After this meeting, I will finalise my recommendations and if they are in writing I will send these to you (the client). These will be confidential to you, the client, and written without prejudice. Since my report contains sensitive commercial information and is written for the client to consider the next steps, it is not to be shared with the parties.
- If you decide to go ahead with my recommendations, we then work out the best way of communicating with the parties that we plan to proceed and agree on a start date.
Stage 4: Once we have a sign off, I go ahead with the agreed recommendations
Feel free to call and discuss this process by contacting me on 03 545 2567
Forms of conflict resolution:
My work in conflict resolution takes a variety of forms:
- Facilitated meeting
- Facilitation of team development and groups
- One-to-one coaching of leaders
- Training individuals and groups in communicating through difference
- Relationship repair
- Analysis of organisational conflict with recommendations
- Giving staff feedback and improving performance
- Working with leaders in organisations to make changes
- Organisational development (changes in culture, systems and people)